Symptoms of a Kidney Infection
Here are the symptoms that likely indicate that the bladder infection has moved to the kidneys:
- Back, side (flank) or groin pain
- Abdominal pain
- Frequent urination
- Strong, persistent urge to urinate
- Burning sensation or pain when urinating
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pus or blood in the urine (hematuria)
- Urine that is cloudy and/or has a foul odor
If fever, chills and back pain are present, call the doctor immediately.
What Are the Risk Factors That Make Patients Vulnerable to Kidney Infection?
- Required to wear a catheter, i.e. men with prostate problems, men/women needing a catheter after surgery
- Have a urinary tract blockage like a kidney stone or an enlarged prostate gland (men)
- Having a weakened immune system due to medical conditions such as diabetes (also called Type 2, or adult onset diabetes) and high blood pressure.
Diagnosing A Kidney Infection
To determine if a kidney infection is present, urologists will conduct a series of tests, including: urinalysis, blood test, ultrasound, CT scan or a type of X-ray called a voiding cystourethrogram. Once confirmed, antibiotics will be prescribed. If the kidney infection is severe, the doctor might admit you to the hospital. Treatment might include antibiotics and fluids that you receive through a vein in your arm (intravenously).
To avoid a kidney infection, start by recognizing the symptoms of a bladder infection: persistent urge to urinate, a burning sensation when urinating, passing frequent, small amounts of urine, cloudy or strong-smelling urine, pelvic discomfort.
Treatment Tip: To prevent a simple bladder infection from becoming a kidney infection, you may want to add a natural supplement known as D-Mannose to your daily routine.
D-Mannose is now being recommended by doctors as an alternative to antibiotics, which are no longer as effective in healing UTI’s as they used to be. Goodbye UTI is a 100% pure D-Mannose supplement which has been proven to provide fast relief and to protect your bladder against future infections. Formulated under the strict supervision of a Doctor of Pharmacy in GA, UTI sufferers can trust the quality and safety of this product.